Tuesday, November 2, 2010

I Am Thankful I Can Vote

For day two of giving thanks - it is also election day.  I am grateful for this right to vote.  I spent a lot of time in Germany growing up.  When I was there, the country was still divided into East Germany and West Germany.  Almost half of the European countries were dictated too and did not have the right of a democratic government.  I remember listening to a German friend of ours who had moved to Germany from Romania, expound on how important it was to choose your leaders.  I remember listening to him from the time I was 9 years old.  He was impassioned about it because so many of his family had very few rights at all.  So ever since I could vote, I have.  If I miss an election or couldn't vote locally because we moved then I don't complain because I feel I have no right too.  But if I have cast a ballot and things are not going well - then I feel I have every right to complain because I have put my two cents in at the ballot box.  I may not get my candidate but I at least had my say.  One presidential election I admit to voting for Snoopy and Mickey Mouse because I felt they would run the country much better than the two men running for office.  I turned out to be right!  I am still grateful for the blessing of being able to vote and I will be exercising that right today.  I will tell you if it goes off without a glitch later on.  Somehow every time I have voted in Rhode Island - there has been problem.  I can't wait to see what it is today.  (There is never a problem for Clyde, just for me.)

No comments: