Thursday, April 10, 2014

Good News!

Clyde got a letter from his retirement counselor today and we may finally get our retirement this summer.  The amount is smaller than originally thought but we will be able to get by.

I made Blondies for the first time since we left the states today.  Brown sugar is hard to find and it doesn't come in a full pound package when you do.  The blondies are not as sweet as they are when you add the whole amount of sugar and I think I like them better.

Work was quiet today because Mads was not there to sing and whistle.  His neck and shoulders are stiff and he was told to stay home and keep ice and heat on them alternately for the next few days.  We will see how long he stays out.

Annika's daughter, Kaia has the chicken pox and some were in her eyes.  Kaia has a horrible eye infection now.  Poor thing.  She is 4.  Annika and her husband have been taking turns staying with Kaia.

Daniel was trying to teach me how to say 'umbrella' in Danish.  I just cannot say the oo sound like they do.  He finally looked at me and laughed.  He said I might have Danish blood in me but my mouth doesn't know it.

A couple of months ago, Clyde bought me some Daffodil and Iris plants.  I haven't wanted to throw away the bulbs, so I offered them to Jeppe.  He told me that in Danish flower bulbs are called flower onions, because they grow like an onion.  He thought it was funny we called them bulbs like a light bulb.

I have a huge purse that I hate carrying because it is so big.  It was great for traveling over here but I put it away shortly after I got here.  I was talking to the Office Coordinator, telling  her that one of our sister missionaries had been pickpocketed.  Elizabeth said, "Look around.  You will never see a native Danish woman with a small purse.  Big purses deter someone from digging through them.  If someone cannot snatch and grab - they won't." I started carrying my big purse after that and I have to say that I do feel safer.

1 comment:

Heidi Noel said...

Yay for good news. Boo for getting less. I am sorry about that.

Glad you have a big purse.

Miss you.