Saturday, February 19, 2011

Migraines and other things

There is a clip of a LA newswoman with garbled speech after last weeks Grammy's that has gone viral.  The clip has been played on the morning shows and evening news.  Armchair doctors have diagnosed the woman with everything from a stroke to drug overdose but it turns out she had a severe migraine.  I saw the clip for the first of a dozen times yesterday morning and as soon as I saw it, I knew she was getting a migraine because she was doing what Pam always does.  Pam has gotten so you can now understand her words when she has migraine but she makes no sense but the very first migraine she ever had when she was really little, I actually called my father (an MD) because she was talking total gibberish and her face sagged a bit.  I was afraid my 9 year old was having a stroke!  Apparently this is what happens when the migraine affects your speech center of your brain - and it always does with Pam.  I feel sorry for this poor newswoman because this has now gone viral. The sad thing is, she had no idea what was happening.  This was her first migraine ever.  What she is trying to say is, "Lady Antebellum swept the Grammy's".  It made me think of funny things Pam would say.  I still think my favorite is: "I have a mascara.  I am going to get in my backpack for more lashes."  This was all slurred like she was drunk.  I found her on the middle landing of our stairs and had to help her to her bedroom in Ephraim.  Full fledged migraines, she and  Heather always had the worst of it, with Carianne and then Heidi.  What is interesting is that I don't think Heather gets as many now but Carianne and the others look like they will be getting them, like me for the rest of the their lives.


The Grammy's:  No, I did not watch them.  But some of my seminary students did.  We finished up a little early on Monday so they asked if we could have prayer so we could discuss them.  This struck me.  They didn't think the Grammy's went with the lesson so they wanted that part of seminary closed but they were comfortable enough to talk about it together, with me.  What they wanted to vent about was Lady GaGa.  One of the girls WAS a big fan but she felt like Lady GaGa had gone to far this time and had gone too extreme. This young woman's father is in Afghanistan.  She kept saying, all the money that Lady GaGa spent on that stupid concept could have helped so many students in 3rd world countries.  She also was upset that Lady GaGa can do nothing original - everything is a knock-off of Madonna's in some form or another.  I was intrigued by what the kids said and what their impressions are.  We have great young people.

1 comment:

Heidi Noel said...

I have only had 1 migraine since I got married. I hope I don't jinx it.