Sunday, July 6, 2014

Dannebrog and Old Glory

Friday morning we loaded up the mission van and headed to Rebild Denmark to meet with the other 2 senior missionary couples and President Sederholm (there were7 couples all together.  We spent the 4th and 5th of July together.  Above is the Danish Flag and the Stars and Stripes.  These are some of the flags that were flown there.  There were also state flags from New Mexico, Minnesota, Utah and other states where large groups of Danes had immigrated.

This is the entrance to a large and natural amphitheater.  I started to climb down there and probably would not have even if I had good knees.  Gravel and steep inclines have never been my friends.

 
This statue was done by Dennis Smith, an LDS sculptor.  He has many bronze worked sculptures in Denmark.  This is a picture of his grandmother and her family traveling to the US.  His Grandmother's name was Christina.

This was the side of the sculpture that I related too.  It his great-great grandmother traveling with the family.  Please forgive my clown costume.  It is the coolest (temperature wise) of any of my outfits.  I usually wear these cropped pants with sandals but knew I would be walking a lot.  I am carrying my purse and camp chair.  I was the only person that had the foresight of knowing that getting up and down off of the ground would be impossible for me too many times.  It was worth every penny of the 50 crowns we spent!

One of my all time favorite entertainers is Victor Borge.  This is a Dennis Smith rendition in honor of Victor.  I highly recommend you look up his 'Phonetic Alphabet' on YouTube.  You will be in stitches.

President William Howard Taft dedicated this land in Rebild Denmark as US soil.  It has been held in that honor ever since.  It was interesting that as we were sitting there listening to the speeches, a fly over suddenly began that was quite incredible of WWII planes and some from Viet Nam.  A stirring but sad reminder.  The other thing I noticed is everyone spoke on behalf of the country.  Our ambassador to Denmark spoke on behalf of President Obama.

No comments: