Thursday, March 20, 2014

Continued Coverage of Seniors Conference.

I got a horrible tickle in my throat just as the meeting part of the conference ended.  I was leading the music and by the time I sat down - I was in tears from keeping the cough inside.  Then I couldn't stop coughing because the tickle was right where the breath would aggravate it.  A sister behind me handed me a cough drop.  I popped it in my mouth and I am not kidding - I almost overloaded on thoughts of my childhood in Germany.  It was a cough drop like Sister Mebius and Kaethe Voight always gave me.  The memories were coming so fast it was almost overwhelming.  I have had other instances where a smell or taste has brought back a memory - but never like that.  It was quite a wonderful experience.  I might get some of my own (they are a salted licorice taste but very small - so not overwhelming).  This time I will channel the memories and write them down. 

The lunch was wonderful and the company was even better.  It was a time of renewal.  I am very grateful we had that opportunity.

Happy Spring, everyone!  I have never been so glad to see this time of year - when the days are getting longer and sun shines so brightly.  Plants are on the verge of bursting forth and the ducks and birds in the area are pairing off.  So much fun.  We come home just as tired as ever from work but we walk in the daylight.  So wonderful.

We did 4 books today.  We have 15 left in this series and then we start on the early 1800's.  In all we have 30 books to do before our next project.  The German Refugee burial records from WWII were brought to us and then taken away again.  It seems they need to negotiate with the Germans on the right way to handle them.  Would they like the information from FamilySearch too?  I was just tickled to see them and that we get to do them.  Clyde said he couldn't understand why I wanted to do them so badly but there is a burning in me to see those done.  So glad we are getting closer.

Tomorrow we go to Copenhagen City Hall and learn how the Danes do family history.  It is the number one pass time in Denmark.  On Friday's the reading rooms are closed but they are going to let us use them with a private tutoring session.  I am taking my camera because there is a statue of Hans Christian Andersen in the front of the City Hall.  It is just across the street from Tivoli (on the other side of where we catch the bus).  He has always been my favorite author.  I love seeing his name everywhere here.  He is H.C. Anderson to the Danes.

No comments: