Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Will we ever make it a full week?

We went to work this morning - caught the correct bus - and did two protocols (or registers).  Then we waited for over an hour and no new books appeared.  Jeppe told us to take the afternoon off.  He said we work too hard.  We did just that.  We did some grocery shopping and came on home.  I have soup simmering and we will eat as soon as I finish this.  We are doing the 1890's right now and I have noticed that fewer babies are dying and we are getting a lot more pages of all adults.  When babies do die - it is usually within hours or days of birth.  Some of the vaccines we use today were developed by then.  Also people were learning that cleanliness was important.  We are see a lot less cholera and dysentery.

They have the most amazing baby buggies here.  You rarely see a stroller but the buggies are everywhere.  They keep the baby warm and you can carry other things in them.  Today a baby girl was smiling at us on the bus.  Her mother sat down behind us, so then the little girl started laughing.  She will definitely make the world a better place.

There are pigeons everywhere in the train station.  I think they have set up housekeeping there until Spring.  I think there were as many pigeons as people!

Our Nisse gave us some homemade candy today.  It is not very sweet but it is walnuts and some kind of nut and maple syrup filling in dark chocolate.  1 is very rich and so good.  It isn't a candy flavor I have ever been fond of before but I think that is because in the States you don't let the natural sugars shine through - we add corn syrup or sugar to make it overly sweet.

Jeppe brought us some sour dough buns again.  I asked him for a start so I can start making sour dough bread and pancakes. We will see how I do.  Have I said how much I am enjoying it here?  I do miss our family and would love to be with them for Christmas but most of the time, I am very content with what the Lord has presented to us in our lives.  Everyone asks if we are staying for the holidays or flying home.  We tell them we will stay put the full 18 months.  They seem quite flattered when we tell them that.  It is interesting.

1 comment:

Holly said...

Glad you are enjoying it. European sweets are very different - but I find myself not able to eat American candy much now...it is too sweet.

And the buggies sound similar to here...they are fancy!

If you ever need a break from clean, polite Denmark you're always welcome to come visit your Italian "kids". :)