Thursday, December 26, 2013

I learned something interesting today...

I learned that the women involved in plural marriage were also arrested and jailed.  I thought it was only the men but we were reading about my great-grandmother, Caroline Sorensen Buchanan and found out her mother and her father's other wife were both imprisoned when her father, Hans was incarcerated.  They were even subpoenaed when the case of Hans finally went to court and were brought to the courtroom by the US Marshalls.  Caroline's younger brother, Parley Sorensen, bailed them out - especially since the other wife had a child that wasn't even 1 year.  It seemed the child was just fading away, so the family got together and worked out the finances to free the women.  In both the men and women's cases there were 6 bunkbeds and usually about 14 people in each cell.  The US government was proud of the fact that they kept these 'cohabitation inmates' separate from the hardened criminals.  In fact they were treated worse!  It is bad enough to know that the men were jailed but to know women were too - it is just appalling.  My grandmother was safe in Mexico where she and her twin brother was born - with her parents and most of Archibald's other children that were underage.  They stayed in Mexico until the manhunts were over.

We spent the day studying family history - especially the Sorensen line.  I read a bit.  Now we are watching Harry Potter-the Prisoner of Azkaban - in Danish.  We know it well enough to know what is happening but it is an interesting experience to watch something you know well in another language.  We have a channel that is German with Danish subtitles.  I can never remember the number it is but when I realize I can understand it, I change because German really messes up my Danish.

We finally got a call from the Sister missionaries in our area.  They need our apartment and us - to teach someone on Saturday.  So glad we can help them.

No comments: