Thursday, November 22, 2012

Happy Thanksgiving!

I was thinking about all of the different places and ways I have celebrated Thanksgiving.  My mother had the table groaning with food and lots and lots of people over besides every family member she could find.  Then the year my father was in Korea, she physically was not able to do it and we were invited to my Aunt Delma and Uncle Paul Dyreng's home in Gunnison. 

The second year that I was at Snow College, Marianne and I didn't have anywhere to go.  I remember that she and I were the only two people left in the dorm that weekend.  I think we had Thanksgiving dinner with someone, but I am not sure whose house we went too.  I do remember that we painted the front window above the front door and wished everyone a Happy Holiday - to welcome all of the girls back.

Clyde and I have had some where it was just the two of us or just our family and some where we were involved with multitudes of people.  Two years ago I did one at the church because there were going to be so many people that had nowhere to go.  We had a wonderful potluck Thanksgiving that was tasty, and really fun. 

This year it looked like it was going to once again just be the two of us.  Then on Sunday our Relief Societ President was visiting with one of the sisters that Clyde home teaches.  It turned out that she and her husband were just going to let Thanksgiving slide this year.  They are now coming here to celebrate with us.  It will be a pleasant day because we will be sharing it with friends.  Our meal is half of what it used to be.  For the first time in my whole life we are not having Exotic Fruit salad, but I am tired of being the only eating it.  I'll make it for a ward party and call it good.  We are also having two kinds of sweet potatoes - the sugary sweet kind and I am roasting a baked potato with some fresh green beans.  It has become my favorite way to eat both vegetables.

Happy Thanksgiving!  Enjoy your day and may each of us be aware of just  how blessed and how much we have to be thankful for.

2 comments:

King Jed said...

Happy Thanksgiving Mom and Dad Bailey. You are in my thoughts and prayers WAY over here in Korea. I hope it was an amazing day. Love ya.

King Jed said...

I hope you both had a wonderful Thanksgiving. Know that you both are in my thoughts and prayers during this holiday season. I am truly grateful and blessed to have you both in my life. Be safe.