Wednesday, February 13, 2013

What were your first few jobs and do you remember how much you earned?

My first job was babysitting.  I babysat Todd Neuberger when I was 9 years old and felt so grown up.  I was alone in their apartment and put him down for his nap and watched him.  This sounds like a big deal but Sally was across the street visiting Mom - maybe 200 yards away.  I was paid nothing.

In fact I babysat a lot for Mom's friends and paid nothing.  I finally got my first real job on my own when I was in 7th grade in Maryland.  I was paid 50 cents an hour.  That was pretty much the going rate all of my teenage years.  However there was one couple that would deliberately stay out until the wee hours of the morning.  For them - and I told them up front - it was $1.00 per child and doubled every hour after 2 a.m.  I sometimes walked away from that job exhausted but with $20 in my pocket.  I also didn't like babysitting for them because they always came home tipsy.  Finally Marianne and I both decided we would not babysit for them anymore.  It was just too uncomfortable.  I also never trusted the father.  Fortunately they never had to drive us home - they lived in our stairwell. 

Because I had never done anything but babysitting, when we were married and living in Provo, I couldn't get a job.  I finally did home daycare for the state, becoming licensed through them and was paid $50 per child.  I had 4 state children I babysat for full time and several from the ward I watched while parents went to classes in Provo. 

No comments: