Monday, February 4, 2013

What was the worst mischief you got into when you were young?

My mom was Relief Society President for our ward in San Antonio.  She had her board over to the house one day.  I had just gotten a tea set.  I was serving everyone water.  Mom followed me wondering where I was getting the water.  I was 3 year old.  I had a hard time turning on the faucet in the bathroom, so Mom was curious.  I was getting the water out of the toilet.  It is one of my earliest memories.  She was not happy.

The one that still makes me sick to my stomach was when I was about 5, a bunch of my friends and I were running up from the basement in San Antonio and I didn't realize Marianne was right behind us.  I slammed the basement door.  When I slammed the door I crushed Marianne's fingers.  Mom had to take her to the hospital.  I ran to the gate of our housing area closest to the hospital (still about 1 mile away from the hospital) and my friend Buddy Collie told me that the crying we were hearing was Marianne.  He also told me that I probably crippled her hand for life.  I was almost hysterical when my Mom came home but had to hold it in because Mom was so mad at me.  She thought I had done it on purpose and took days to forgive me.

The most stupid thing I ever did was bite the top of Grandpa Tuttle's head.  It took A LOT to make Grandpa Tuttle mad.  I was up on top of his shoulders (so I was pretty little) and looked at his shiny bald head.  I remember thinking, "I wonder what that tastes like?  Would it taste like an apple?"  It startled Grandpa so badly he almost threw me across their kitchen.  It is the only time I ever saw Grandpa Tuttle angry.  That is the only time I remember biting soap.  I became the butt of a lot jokes for years because of that.    Then Richard Dyreng (one of my Tuttle cousins) started doing some pretty nutty things and took the pressure off.

No comments: