Thursday, February 7, 2013

What were your favorite summer memories?

When I was really young and living in Texas, every summer we would pack up and head to Utah for an extended visit.  Sometimes Dad got to stay with us the whole time - then the visit was shorter but when Dad didn't come, we were there pretty much all summer long.   I now understand it was because Mom was heading out remission again but I don't think even Mom and Dad knew that then.  The summer Mom was pregnant with Bob was memorable because we got to ride the train up to Utah.  However because Mom was so sick - we rarely left our compartment.  I just remember being trapped in that little room for what seemed like weeks but it was probably just a few days.

I loved those summers with Grandma and Grandpa Tuttle.  We would spend the obligatory time with the Bruggers in Richfield and Venice but it was always an uncomfortable time for me.  I tried and tried to enjoy myself down there but was always relieved to come back to the Tuttle's.  I have a cousin, Kristine, that is my age and everyone was always trying to get us to be close.  Kristine was always doing things I felt uncomfortable doing.  I tried to have a good time there but just never could - even when I was teenager.  I would feel obliged to go and spend time but did it as a duty.

When we were in Europe, we would pick a destination and go there but when we went back to Germany the second time, it seemed that our vacation spot became Switzerland.  Whenever we could break away - that is where we all agreed to go.   Some of my most favorite summer memories are still from those stays.  It was fluke we found our favorite camping ground in Switzerland 'under the Jungfrau'.  We were supposed to spend 2 weeks in Germany's Black Forest and really looking forward to it but it started raining right after we set the tent up.  It rained HARD for 2 days - to the point that everything was muddy, including us.  Dad became worried that we would puncture holes in the bottom of the tent.  He had his international passport and suggested we head for Switzerland (it was about 2 hours away).  We got in the car and headed out.  Switzerland was sunny, and beautiful.  We found a wonderful camp ground, made friends with the owners and camped there the next 2 summers besides that one.  The owners would clue us in to the local things like a play of William Tell or where to get the best produce and cheese.  Trummelbach Falls is still one of the most glorious things I  have ever seen and one of my all time most cherished memories is lying on the side of one mountain with Marianne and watching avalanches on another.  It was fantastically beautiful!

No comments: