Tuesday, February 5, 2013

What music did you grow up listening to?

Mom loved her Big Band music and I remember listening to that and the popular music of the '50's when I was really little.  When we moved to Germany, Dad started teaching me about classical music and that is pretty much all I listened too until I was in the 6th grade and then Mary Hornbeck introduced me to the Beatles.  I fell in love with their music, along with Herman's Hermits and the Monkees.  I never did like the Rolling Stones - ever.  Some of my friends accused me of being brainwashed by my parents but I just could never get into 'their groove'.  So I didn't listen to them much.  I tended to go for the lighter rock and roll and the folk music singers (Peter Paul and Mary, Simon and Garfunkel).  I even parted ways with the Beatles after a while.  I did get their Sgt Pepper album but that was the last one I personally owned until I was married.

My most consistant genre would be musicals.  I loved listening to musicals when I was little.  I would put the albums on to clean and race to have my work finished before the album was.  (I should probably used that cleaning technique now!).  I knew by heart most all of the music from the musicals that our daughters grew up watching - without ever seeing them.  We only had the albums in those days.  To this day one of my favorite musical scores is the Pirates of Penzance.

No comments: