Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The Winding Ways Quilt

"The Winding Ways Quilt" is my favorite of Jennifer Chiaverini's books since "The Quilter's Apprentice". I love the way she devotes a chapter to 'our friends' that we have made through the years but tells us new things. Yet you could pick this book up if you have never read any of the other books of the series and still enjoy it. Jennifer Chiaverini always tells a delightful and sweet story. I look forward to her next one.

Last night Clyde and I went to see the movie "Inkheart" finally. We had to go clear to Seekonk, Massachusetts (sounds a long way but it was 40 minutes) to see it but it was worth it. It was moving from the first minute the movie started and didn't stop until the credits came up. It is - at best - loosely based on the first two books of the series. The movie was well done and for once Brendon Fraser did not play Brendon Fraser but actually played Mo. This could also be because Cornelia Funke wrote the character with Brendon Fraser in mind. The biggest flaw to my mind was the character of the author of Inkheart in the movie. In the book he was a sweet almost care-free person. In the movie he was a curmudgeon and a tattletale. If anything that was the biggest flaw of all. The movie left no openings for a sequel but then if it does exceeingly well I am sure there will be one. I don't think the theaters will allow that. In our area there 14 theaters and it is playing at 1. From the people I have spoken with that is the only theater it has played in all along. So maybe it will do better on DVD.

2 comments:

Cari said...

That's interesting that you liked Inkheart. I was horribly disappointed and almost cried when it was over. I felt that they had butchered the story, and Dustfinger in particular. Maybe I was too hard on it and should give it another chance after it comes out on DVD. Love you!

JJthe1st said...

I am so glad that I haven't read the book yet . That way I can just enjoy it in ignorant bliss.