Friday, February 27, 2009

My Kindle

My husband completely surprised me for my birthday with a Kindle. For those of you that don't know what a Kindle is - it is an electronic reader. It holds tons of books and you read it like a book, clicking a tab on either side of this device to turn the page. It is about the size of a stenographer's notepad and weighs about as much too. It is the width of pencil. I am in love with it. I downloaded a book called "The Friday Night Knitter's Club" and I am thoroughly enjoying the book and the experience of having the Kindle. I had been looking at the Kindle and trying to think how I could get Clyde to get us one. He thought I had guessed what it was but he had phrased his sentence with 'them' in it so I was thinking I was getting 2 gifts - which completely threw me off. My friends have been listening to me go on and on about the Kindle and all it could do and laughing because Clyde had told them (he was very excited about this - as excited as I am!). I was seriously considering getting Clyde one for his birthday or Father's day. Now I don't have to. I am just thrilled. Some people I have spoken with think they would miss the experience of holding a book - but I am finding that I don't. Since I can adjust the font to a larger size - it makes reading easier and more comfortable so I think I might even like it better. After I got into the rhythm of it I realized I wasn't even thinking about hitting the tab to turn the page and frequently - especially at night - books so heavy they actually hurt me to hold them. I definately won't have that problem with this. I really think this is going to be fun! The real plus for this is that the most I pay for even a best seller is $10. Some books are free and the prices drop from $10 so I will actually be saving money. This is a good thing all around. I was shocked how quickly I received my book once I ordered it. It was about 30 seconds! So I am in love with my present. Look at the blurb about it on Amazon.com and you will see better what I am talking about. This will save us having to get more bookcases and having to try and store more books - which we definately do not have room for. That right there makes it worth the cost!

I have to say that this has been one of my most fun birthdays I have had in a long time. Last years was fabulous because I was with 6 out of 8 of my grandchildren (I guess we count that Dutch was there since Pam was there with Dutch in her belly!). I was really kind of dreading this birthday but friends have remembered me, I got my Kindle and last night Heather and I figured out how to set up the video camera! After almost a year I was able to see Bella and Evie again. So all and all this was a fabulous birthday. I don't mind at all turning 56 or having my knees still being out of whack. There is hope that someday soon my left knee will be straight and as soon as I start working out again, I think I can strengthen both knees so I won't have to have surgery on my right knee. At least I can remain optimistic and hope to get my life back. 56 looks much better than 55!

3 comments:

Heidi Noel said...

Anneke asked how old you were. When I told her she said, "Oh, so Grandma is older than you." Not so good with numbers yet that one...

BenJoeM said...

AH! A Kindle! I can't tell you how excited I am for you. This will change your life! My reading has tripled since the kindle.

Enjoy

Genevieve said...

Happy belated birthday!! I have been looking at the Kindle wondering if people really like them or if they miss holding the book. Thanks for the review, I may have to invest in one.