Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Book Review


My book review this time is my yearly visit to "Mrs Mike". I have been reading this book since I was 11. My father bought a bunch of second hand books from a library when we first moved to Washington DC. He gave me 50 cents for each book I finished ($5.00 for Gone with the Wind). That was the easiest money I had ever earned. In the collection was this book and it became my most favorite book ever. I have never read a book that I want to go back to and read like this one. It is a true story. Katherine Mary O'Fallon was born in 1890 in Ireland. Her family immigrated to Boston, Massachusetts when she was so little she really didn't remember doing it. At 16 she traveled to live with her uncle in Calgary, Alberta, Canada because of pleurisy. In 1907 she met and married Mike Flannigan. As far as I can find out they only had 2 children of their own but raised many of their friends children to adulthood. Mike died in 1933. Kathy died in Vancouver on Aug 8, 1954.

I find that I usually read this book in the coldest part of the winter when my S.A.D. is getting me down. The book always lifts my spirits and makes me realize that if she could possibly live the life she lived - what do I have to complain about. Benedict and Nancy Freedman wrote the book from a series of interviews with Mrs. Mike. It was originally published in 1947. The Freedman's have written other books such as "The Search for Joyful" which is also well written. Of course I recommend this book. It is my most favorite book ever!

2 comments:

Cari said...

I have to agree - I love this book. I didn't like Little Bird as well, though. Love you!

Heidi Noel said...

I may be in for it, but I have never read this book and can't even find a copy. I now have a huge list of books waiting to be read on my shelves. I was so excited finishing two of the three books i was reading, but the list is a bit overwhelming. Anyway, eventually I will read "Mrs. Mike" and "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn". I should at least read my mother and grandmother's favorite books, right?