Monday, February 16, 2009

Hero Monday

When I was Senior in High School, I was asked to give a talk at a regional conference in Berchesgaden, Germany for the LDS Church. Sitting waiting to give my talk, I had a full fledged panic attack. Elder Haight, was sitting next to me. He was the newest member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. He leaned over and gently layed his hand on me. He then said, "Remember everyone here loves you and wants you to do well." This immediately calmed me.

I still remember I started my talk by repeating the first verse of "I Am a Child of God" and then going into the rest of my talk. I ended with the third verse of "I Am a Child of God". I have to say that to this day, it is one of the best talks I have ever given.

After the talk, a sister from the congregation came up to me and told me all of her sons failings. Then she said, "What do I do now?" She was kind of poking me and really in my face. The only thing I could think to say was, "Love him." She said, "That won't work. It can't be that simple." I said, "Yes it is, just love him." She doggedly followed me, challenging me that it couldn't be simple. I remember thinking, 'I am 17 years old. How can I help her?' Suddenly my dad and the Stake President intervened and gently guided her away from me.

So what does this have to do with Hero Monday? In this little memory there are three great men that slipped in to save me all within a matter of moments. Elder Haight saved me from having a panic attack. If I had been as nervous as I was when I was panicked, my talk would not have gone as well or as smoothly. Obviously it touched hearts. This poor sister was distressed but I was not the one to help her. President Cottle and my father - who was one of his counselors in the stake presidency - were there to help. They began counseling her and then her family during that conference.

Three great men, honoring their priesthood. Three great men fulfilling their responsibilities with love and compassion. Three men epitomizing what a true hero is.

No comments: