Monday, June 9, 2014

Whit Monday

Today was a holiday, so we went sightseeing.  The museums are not open today plus it was a Gorgeous day - so we went and visited the Little Mermaid.  Here are 2 pictures of her.

I have always loved Hans Christian Andersen's stories but The Little Mermaid (both the original and Disney's) is my favorite story of all.  It is like so many of us.  We are not content with who we are and what we have.  And sometimes, we as parents have to let our children be who they are.  There are so many lessons to learn from that story.  They had her way out to sea but for some reason brought her back in closer to the harbor.  I think they can train cameras on her better there.  She has been beheaded and vandalized A LOT!

This is St. Alban Anglican Church in the background.  I will post more pictures of that later.  The fountain in the foreground was one of my Grandpa Brugger's favorite fountains.  It is the goddess Gefion (or Gefjon) plowing the sea.  She was told she could have all the land she could plow in one night.  Gefion turned her 4 sons into oxen and created the island of Zealand (pronounce Zjay-land).  This is the island that Copenhagen sits on.  The water sprays everywhere.  It was very refreshing.

Here is another view of her.  It an amazing fountain.


A scary looking lady - wearing a paper hat.  I looked up the care instruction on the this hat and found out it was made in China and 100% paper.  I can't get it wet and it really can't be cleaned.  Good thing I only spent $10 on it.  Hopefully it will last the summer.

At the base of the fountain are these 'men' spitting water.  I probably should have put the camera on video mode for this but I didn't.  Those that have been there understand how beautiful it is.  It was a very pleasant holiday.  Even for all of the walking I did, I feel remarkably good.  We are having dinner a the Sederhom's tonight.  A couple from Iceland are going home to St. George tomorrow.  Tomorrow is Zone Conference.  It has been a 'dejlig' day.

No comments: