Friday, June 27, 2014

Graduation Danish Style

Today the seniors graduate from Gymnasium (High School).  They wear a hat that looks like a British Sailor hat.  There is a wide band with the school insignia on it.  The boys have a small bill on theirs.  I think they look ridiculous but they are proud to wear them.  They have been riding around in different kinds of trucks (grocery trucks, construction trucks and even a fire engine) yelling and screaming.  One just went by that looked like a circus wagon!  You wear the hat until you take it off in public.  Then you can never wear it again.  Kind of a fun tradition.

We went to the temple today.  The movie was in Swedish so we definitely had to wear the headset.  It was nice to hear it in English after so long.  It was a lovely session.  The funny thing is that only one sister had a Swedish nametag.  There were 7 English speakers - making up the bulk of the group.  Oh well.  It worked.

My mother always said it took at least 6 months to feel at home in a new area.  I think she is right.  We are starting to feel very comfortable here.  I did the whole order in Danish today for the bakery.  It was new young woman.  She responded in Danish - never attempting English.  She either felt very sorry for us or I did pretty well.  I hope it was the latter.

I think of so much to say when I am not on the computer!

No comments: