Saturday, June 14, 2014

St. Alban's Church of England

On Monday, behind the fountain of Gefion, you see a pretty little Gothic Church. It is St. Albans Church of the Church of England.  It was commissioned for the British people.  It was the British Queen and the Danish Queen that worked together to have this built.  As we were walking to the bus, we noticed it was open, so we went in.

The front of the Chapel was beautiful.  The stained glass was inspiring.  In the background was music.  It suddenly dawned on me that it was "Beautiful Zion Built Above."  I wonder what their words are.


Beside the pew we were on was this stained glass.  I decided to take a picture because I have been to a lot of churches but have never seen this portrayed.  It is the young Jesus among the learned men, telling His mother that He must be about His Father's business.  It was beautiful.

We had a short week at work.  Monday was a holiday and Tuesday was Zone Conference.  Wednesday and Thursday we had more camera time than we have managed before in one day - which is good.  I had to stay home yesterday so that they could have access to the apartment for our internet.  Turned out they didn't need access - it was a messed up cable.  All work was done outside.  I am just glad we are back up and going.
 
On Wednesday, I brought in some banana bread.  They kept calling it banana cake.  Everyone enjoyed it.  In fact they are saving the extra bananas for me so that I will make more.  There were several ways it was enjoyed.  Some put sour cream on it, others butter and a few ate it with Havarti cheese sliced on it but most liked it just plain.  I was just glad they enjoyed it.  I brought it in on Wednesday because that is the day of the office meeting.  They always have goodies to go with their coffee.  I thought this would be fun for them.  Turned out to be a good call.
 
Thursday was Lars birthday.  They brought in a chocolate cake with chocolate ganache and almonds on it.  It was good but kind of reminded me of a DingDong.  The cakes here are very dense.
 
Clyde said that yesterday was Lisa's birthday.  They had a fresh strawberry cake with chocolate filling.  Sounds interesting.  Clyde said it was okay.  He got about 4,000 images done yesterday.

This evening Sister Hadley and Sister Barrett came by to see us.  It was a short but very fun visit.  So glad they feel like we are close enough to check in with us.  This is what we wanted.

We went to the bakery to pick up our bread.  There was new girl waiting on customers.  She was getting our order and the one that usually waits on us came in.  I am not fond of seeds on my white bread.  The new girl started to get seeded French bread for us.  The other girl stopped her and got me a fresh loaf- no seeds.  Then before I could say it she said, "And she wants a 5 grain loaf" in Danish.  I told her thanks for taking such good care of us - in Danish.  She told me my Danish gets better every week.  Made me feel good!

No comments: