Sunday, October 26, 2008

Trunk or Treat

Last night was our ward's Trunk or Treat with a Chili Cook-off (I won third place but I rigged it - trying not to win at all!). Yesterday afternoon Scott Halverson called to tell us that Josh had pneumonia. Karyn (this wife and obviously Ashley, Josh and Taylor's mom) is in Utah fussing over her new nephew. The Halverson's have a unique situation in that all of the grandparents but one grandmother have passed away - hence how Clyde and I were adopted as the surrogate grandparents. We were just there to fuss over them. I knew Ashley had Homecoming so we offered to pick up Taylor and bring her the Ward party. When Scott told Taylor that Grandma Bailey wanted to come and get her - Taylor jumped at the chance to come with us. She was cute at the party too. She stuck pretty close to Clyde or me. She was very careful about telling us where she was and who she was with. We had a really good time together - but then we always do.

The Chili Cook-off was a last minute thing for me. Clyde told me I needed to enter my Mother's Chili because I was the bishop's wife. I made the whole recipe and filled our huge crock-pot up. I hadn't signed up so every time the came to mine (we were voting by cheering) I booed really loud. There were 9 chili pots in all. A non-member's won (I screamed the loudest for his because I wanted him to win. I told everyone to cheer for him - even people that hadn't tasted it.) With someone as loud as me and the other people I had cheering for Dana - he had to win. I almost got second until I told the cheering to stop for me. They wouldn't when it came to the 3rd place prize. In fact they told me that my pot should have taken first. I know Mom's Chili is the best. I don't need a prize but for self-esteem purposes - some of the other people there would have really gone a long ways with a ribbon.

Trunk or treat was fun. As usual we didn't give candy. This year we gave light sticks. Bracelets for the girls and 6 inch sticks for the boys. Pretty soon everyone had a stick and bracelets. They love those! They came to our car first so they could have the lights for the rest of cars (even though they didn't need them). Taylor went trick or treating with a bucket for herself and then went for Josh. They actually gave her more candy for Josh. She explained why she was going around twice.

This morning I went and picked up Ashley and Taylor for Church. I took a few movies for Scott and Josh to watch togther for the next few days. I thought I would be able to leave right after Relief Society but the people that were supposed to do the lunch for the Military Students didn't follow through. My assistant, Celeste Bremer and I, were frantically pulling stuff out of the freezer, and then I had to come home and clean out our crisper for a salad. Fortunately Celeste had brought two pies (we had 14 today). We always keep a couple of lasagnas in the freezer for emergencies. I was thinking the other day that they had been in there for more than 6 months and we needed to use them. Today was the day. We will replenish them for next time. We actually have several of the students that give money to 'other' on the tithing slip - they are so grateful for this service we provide. A couple of the students had their Drill Sargeants find out about out lunches and are now no longer allowed to stay. What is interesting is that we have a Navy psyciatrist that attends our ward. Her husband is not a member but is one of the chaplains. They are looking into what they can do so those young men can enjoy the fellowship with the other students after Church.

Taylor and Ashley stayed with me and helped and then left when Clyde and I left instead of going with the many families that offered to give them a ride home. Part of that was they wanted to ride in our new car! This is the first week that I have stayed for the whole block and attended Relief Society since my surgery. I was going to anyway but hadn't intended to have to say for 7 hours! I am kind of sore tonight but I think I will be OK. I love being a grandma - real or surrogate. I am lucky to have my true grandchildren and then those that willing to adopt me. I will take grandchildren anyway I can get them! Life is good.

2 comments:

Cari said...

How fun! I'm so sad that we're not there to enjoy it with you!

Heidi Noel said...

Taylor sounds like a more conscientious daughter than we ever were. I am glad that you have them. Our stake rearranged wards today. It was sad. Andy and I were released because we are now in a new ward.