Sunday, September 7, 2014

A Spiritual High Saturday

I apologize to those that read Clyde's newsletter and then read this because we do crossover a lot.  However we are together 24-7 - so it is what it is.

Yesterday morning we met at the temple steps and had a group mission picture taken.  It is the first time that the Iceland and Danish missionaries have all been together since the early 1960's.  Then we all filed into the chapel behind the temple and prepared ourselves for a feast.  Elder Bednar had us read 3 of his General Conference talks before we came.  Then he taught a profound teaching principle.  He told us to quit playing 'What is in my head' with classes.  When you approach teaching that way, everything, including your name - flies out of your head if you are called on cold.  He instead asked us, "What did you learn from these talks?"  He had missionaries stand up and testify of the what they learned.  There were no mind boggling changes to any doctrine we knew but some ideas were brought to the forefront of our minds because of the situations we are in right now.  I hope I can remember to teach that way.  I learned more in the 3 hours we were with Elder Bednar than I have in a very long time.
Other things I learned were:
  • When you are afraid, don't look up scriptures on fear but on faith.
  • Talking and 'telling' are not teaching.
  • The person you are teaching, must want to act on what is being taught.  This is why more often than not - the teacher gets more from the lesson than the student.
  • Listen and observe as you teach.  Discernment is learned and must be exercised.
  • We can only teach when someone wants to learn and be included in the lesson.
  • Testimony is the exclamation point of the Spirit.
  • The scriptures are the Iron Rod - hold to them, fast! The Word of God will keep us true and remind us of our purpose.  When we read the scriptures and pattern our life after the Savior, we will have peace and comfort.
  • Conversion is a personal thing.  I cannot convert anyone else - only myself.
  • Christ is in all things.
Then Elder Bednar asked 2 questions: "Based up on what you have observed, learned and felt today, what will I do?  Based upon what we have observed, learned and felt today, what will we do?

I will continue with my observations tomorrow.  Our Branch Presidency was changed out today.  I will miss President Lars Krag but look forward to Henrik Olsen's leadership.












No comments: