Friday, August 1, 2014

More Dragoor

We are working on the civil marriage records for Copenhagen right now.  At the back of the first few books we worked on, there was a string running through the whole book and then the seal on the string.  There is even an indent in the book for the seal to fit in.  We also notice that Kobenhavn is spelled Kjobenhavn.  I went in and asked they guys at lunch when the j was dropped.  Lars went into this elaborate explanation of how it was dropped March 22, 1911.  Then he started laughing and said, "I have no idea, just that it was there and now it isn't."  Bo said that most people with a name with kj in it like Kjar, have now dropped the j.  According to Wikipedia (they couldn't stand it until they knew) the j was dropped the beginning of the fiscal year of 1906.  We are to keep our eyes open and let them know when it disappears.

Elisabeth and me sitting on a bench in front of a yellow wall.  Dragoor is yellow - varying shades of the yellow behind us from very pale to dark mustard.  Forgive my shoes and socks.  These are the most unobtrusive socks I have here.  I wanted to try these Sketchers to see if they worked better than my gray tennis shoes.  I had absolutely no pain yesterday, the whole time we were in Dragoor - and we walked a lot!  I count that as a wonderful miracle.  Besides, Danes don't care what their footwear looks like - as long as they are comfortable.  Lars can't be more than 30.  He came in with short shorts and tennis shoes and socks today to work.  This has been his uniform for a couple of weeks.  I can't remember if I said this or not yet.  Hollyhocks are called stick rose in Danish.

Some of the houses in Dragoor with their tiny yards and quite small homes.  They are beautifully kept up considering these have been around almost 200 years now.

There were a lot of windows with these mirrors on them.  The person inside can see the foot traffic outside their living room.  They can also see who is at their front door and decide if they want to answer it or not.  Why didn't I know about this in RI!

No comments: