Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Who are the people you most admire and why?

I am back.  I will get Clyde to help me download pictures soon.

I have many people that I have grown up admiring.  Sarah Ann Sessions Neilson Tuttle was the first person that popped into my head.  I always loved Grandma Sarah and admired her for the things she overcame and her sunny attitude.  When I was young and found out her favorite book as a child was Pollyanna, I desperately wanted to read the book. The Disney movie was one of my favorites but it didn't quite measure up to Grandma's expectations.  I didn't get to read the book until I was in college.  I then realized why.  Pollyanna was so much more than what Disney had dwelled on.  This book had taught my grandmother not to be a spoiled brat who threw temper tantrums at the drop of a hat.  I was amazed when Grandma's siblings told me that she was a mean and moody child.  There was nothing like that in the adult.  In fact in later life when Grandma had dementia, she was sweet and kind.  Her sister had become so mean and belligerent that Alice's family happily put her in a nursing home. Omi was taken care of at home because she was joy to be around.  I hope I am like Omi but fear I may be more like Grandma Alice.

Aunt Norma has always been one the people that has been important to me.  She is one of my first memories and to this day and person I lean on.  We have always had a very special relationship.  She has never failed me when I have needed  her.

I have always admired my father.  We have a had a special relationship and he is someone that I am grateful my husband has also admired and emulated in his priesthood callings. 

There are people outside of the family that I admire but these are the three people that have truly shaped who I have become.  I have tried  hard to shape many aspects of my life after these individuals. 

No comments: