Sunday, March 17, 2013

What was your favorite dress or outfit as a child?

When I was 10, my Easter dress was one of the most beautiful dresses I had ever seen.  It was white with red tulips appliqued on the bottom of it in various sizes.  It had a red sash and capped sleeves with a little red shrug with 3/4 length sleeves to go over it.  I loved the dress!   I only wore it maybe 4 or 5 times and then it disappeared.  My mother gave it away in June of the year I had gotten it.  She had decided that someone else would enjoy it more. 

For years I puzzled over why Mom would do such a thing and it really wasn't until after her death that it dawned on me.  Right after that Mom went into the hospital for a few days and then was in bed for the rest of the summer.  It was the beginning of her cycle of a few months of remission and then a bad bout of  health that would go on for the rest of her life.  Whenever she was going out of remission she would become either really mean or do some quite irrational things.  Later on Dad and I talked about it and found out we usually got the brunt of it - so we tried to protect each other from her.  It turns out to no avail.  I am so happy that Mom is doing the good she always wanted to do and is so content.  She really deserved that.

No comments: