Friday, March 29, 2013

Tell about changes you have seen in fashion in your lifetime:

When I was a young girl, women never wore pants.  They wore a kind of wrap dress or a loose fitting dress for around the house.  They also always wore and apron.  Women changed their clothes to go somewhere - even if it was to the grocery store.  When we went on our summer vacations to Utah, Mom would make matching dresses for the trip for Marianne, Mom and me.  Marianne and I would match in everything we wore but we always had 1 or 2 dresses that matched Mom as we were on the road.  The dresses were loose and usually made of a cotton jersey so they didn't wrinkle and we would look nice as we stopped along the way.  (Dad always stopped at sights as we traveled.  Only in an emergency would we travel straight through).  My mother did have pants and pedal pushers for camping and hiking when we were in Utah.  Grandma Tuttle did too.  But she worked with the 4-H and had to camp a lot.  I had plenty of short sets as play clothes and my long pants for the mountains too.

When we were in Germany, women started to wear slacks more and more but only in the home.  You never saw them in public.  We always wore dresses to school and would huddle on the playground in the freezing cold because our dresses were at our knees and we just had tights to keep us warm.  I loved my blue Naugahyde coat because when I squatted down - I was warm!  I was also glad when we came stateside to get rid of the monstrosity!
 
In Washington DC - when I was in JR High then things started to really change.  We went from the real classic beauty of Jackie Kennedy's look to Twiggy.  Skirts started rising - really quite slowly in retrospect but it was quite alarming to the parents of teenagers to see skirts 2 inches above the knee.  Boys hair was getting longer and girls weren't doing the bouffant anymore or going for the lacquered look but letting their hair hang loose and free.  Our mothers were horrified. 

By the time I was in High School, skirts were really short and pretty much anything was being worn.  We still could not wear pants to school.   I remember a bunch of us going and begging the principal to let us wear nice pant suits on cold winter days.  We badgered him so much that the European school districts finally said from Thanksgiving to Easter, nice pants could be worn.  There were specifics but right then pantsuits for women were really popular and I had 3 that I wore all of the time.  I was very out of step when in the spring - the dresses were shorter than ever.  I wore mine the length I felt comfortable with and I knew the Church wanted me to wear them.  I had my sister, Marianne and even though we were not in the same school - we at least had each others backs.  When we moved to Heidelberg the next year, Marianne and I found the midi - it came mid-calf.  My senior year I could also wear pants any day I wanted too.  Suddenly my dilemma for what to wear was over.  Plus Mom had hired a sewing lady and we would have her make us things periodically.  (I still commandeered the things Marianne made because she sewed the best and had better taste than I did.  Plus I was a brat.)

After that, I didn't pay attention to fashion again until our own girls were in HS.  I still don't - much to our daughters' chagrin.  I wear what like and feel comfortable in.

No comments: