Thursday, December 22, 2011

Popi's Doll Beds


I apologize for the blurry.  Picture.  We have tried to and tried to fix it but it was apparently taken blurry.  I obviously don't remember this Christmas.  It was just before my 3rd birthday.  Dad was just about to graduate from medical school at the University of Utah and he would be in the Army by that summer.  The next Christmas would be in San Antonio.  I still had that doll bed when Carianne was born and then my dad and Clyde threw it away when they started making beds for their granddaughters.  (It was getting beyond repair.)  Carianne's was made by my mother and me - which is why it so simple.  Clyde and Dad cut the wood but their hearts were not into the furniture making yet.  Heather's cradle is made from a pattern for a miniature doll house that we blew up.  It took months!  However after Heather's cradle, Popi and Clyde knew from that point on they could build anything.  Dad built some beautiful furniture because of my ambitions for toys!  Eventually Popi went back to the old tried and true and built doll beds for Heidi and Pam like mine above.  Now Heidi's bed is being enjoyed by her daughters'.  The only change from the original design is instead of wooden wheels, Popi put on big roller wheels for ease of moving around.  It made it fun for the girls when the wanted to use it for a wagon or push each other down the halls!  Popi made it sturdy enough, so  the girls could sit in it for quite a while - basically until they simply could not fit inside anymore.

P.S.  I just spoke to Heather.  She has my doll crib!  It was not thrown away when I thought it was.  It was given to her by Popi when Bella was a baby.  We will see how many generations it will go through now!

2 comments:

Heather said...

Mom I have this bed. Somehow it ended up in my possession when we were in Vegas. It might have been when Popi cleaned out the the storage shed. I know it is one from this time frame because the wheels are wooden. It is put away until the Evie is a bit older and stop climbing in it. I didn't want it to break! I thought it was Grandma's - I didn't realize it was yours.

Elise said...

I still have my bed that he made and my doll that Grandma made for me!!!