Friday, December 23, 2011

Christmas in Germany

 My mother, Carolyn Brugger, working on a felt Christmas tree.  This was supposed to be a project we were all going to do together and then Mom couldn't stand the haphazard way we were doing things so she took it over.  Marianne and I eventually lost interest.
Bob stuck with Mom to the end of the project.  These pictures are mirror image.  They should be reversed.  I am not sure how this happened.  I thought I had put the negatives down correctly but apparently hadn't.  This is when we lived in the attic in Frankfurt, Germany.  This was a very hard time for Mom.  We would now diagnose her with S.A.D. (Seasonal Affective Disorder or Winter Depression) but then there was no diagnosis for the severe depression she went through that winter.  She constantly complained of the dark and cold.  She claimed she would NEVER complain of the heat again.  Of course she complained of the heat plenty later on both in Texas and Utah but I will never forget her lament of being so bitter cold and the sun never shining.   I look at this picture and realize she is about the age of my daughters right now.  That was a bit of a shocker!  I am about Marcus and Nathanael's age.

No comments: