Thursday, November 26, 2009

What do you do with Thanksgiving Leftovers?


Today is the day I usually write up a few recipes. In keeping with that I will give you a recipe for leftover turkey. When I first started blogging my recipes I did a recipe for Chicken Potpie Soup. Use leftover turkey in place of the chicken and it makes an excellent way to use up not only leftover turkey but some of the leftover veggies and potatoes (unless you mashed them). Chicken Roll-ups or Turkey Roll-ups is a great way to use up not only the leftover turkey but the leftover gravy too.


Chicken Roll-ups (Chris Davis's family calls these 'Chicken Pillows')

2 cups cut up cooked chicken or turkey

1 can mushroom pieces, drained well

1 8 ounce brick of cream cheese, softened

3-4 tubes of crescent rolls

1 cup melted butter

1-1 1/2 cups stuffing mix (I like Pepperidge Farm best)


Mix the chicken, mushroom pieces, and the cream cheese, seasoning to taste with salt and pepper. Place about 1 Tablespoon in the center of each triangle. Roll the dough around the filling until the filling is sealed in. Dip in the butter and then the dried stuffing crumbs. Place on a baking sheet that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Serve with gravy if desired. (I make a quick gravy from chicken stock and milk when I don't have leftover Thanksgiving gravy.)


Note: My daughter Carianne makes these but instead of adding mushroom pieces she adds 1 Tablespoon of finely minced jalapeno pepper. We love it but for those of you that don't like spice - that is not the way to go.


Things I am thankful for: Thanksgiving, living in a free country, being able to worship the way I want to, the joy for the last 2 years of having the Davis family so close.

1 comment:

Marianne said...

I love your recipes, but I NEVER have enough leftover turkey to do anything but eat as leftovers for a day or two. We are already out of stuffing, gravy and green bean casserole. We are almost out of mashed potatoes and turkey. A few people will get to make a turkey sandwich tomorrow and that will be it.