Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Tuesday Book Revies


"Mum's the Word" by Kate Collins was not one of my most favorite books. In fact I should have quit reading it as soon as I realized it was making me so mad. The protagonist 'Abby' is labeled as a meddler and a busybody. Repeatedly through the book she was asked to back off and keep her nose out of other people's business and yet she just kept right on probing. I guess some people would admire her tenacity. She just made my angry. I don't like people that cannot listen. She was asked by the DA, the police, a former boss and family members to stay out of other people's business. Her family reminded her that every time she meddled there were disastrous results. She was sure this time would be different. The reason that I even read it in the first place was I ordered "Mum's the Word" by Dorothy Cannell and they sent me both books. I thought I wouldn't be out much by reading this one. I was out time and being irritated for a day. My opinion - don't waste your time. Fortunately it is library book so that is all I am out.
We are reading "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" for book group. I have not finished it yet but it too is not one of my favorite reads. I hate reading letters. I don't know why but I have to have some sort of story in between. I was afraid "The Wednesday Letters" was going to be letters and because of that I was hesitant to read it. If Heidi had not kept prompting me to open the book up -I would have never discovered that wonderful book. Maybe as I get further into this book I will discover some wonderful nugget - but so far it has eluded me.
I am sad to say that I am on my last 2 China Bayles mysteries. No more reading about the Texas Hill Country until Susan Albert Wittig writes a new book. I am also reading the latest Joanne Fluke - so I will have to wait for hers. I think I will start reading the 'Jaine Austen' books. I noticed that there were a bunch of new ones of hers and she is always good for a laugh.
Things I am thankful for (maybe) alarm clocks, warm showers, good breakfasts, Indian Summers!, holidays in the middle of the week.

No comments: