Monday, November 16, 2009

Mulled Berry Cider {or Wassail to my daughters}

I was going to write this recipe up on Wednesday but Heather just called and needed it right now. Rather than doing it several times, I will post twice today and do other holiday recipes Wednesday.

I have had this recipe for so long that I am not quite sure where I got the recipe. It is a recipe that most people really enjoy. It is good at Christmastime but also good when you aren't feeling good - especially when you have a cold.

Mulled Berry Cider
8 whole pepper corns
6 whole allspice
6 whole cloves
2 cinnamon sticks, 3 inches long
4 quarts apple cider or apple juice (I have been using reduced sugar apple juice with excellent results)
2 quarts cranberry juice (I have been using reduced sugar cranberry juice with excellent results)

Tie spices together in cheesecloth or place them in a tea ball (except for the cinnamon sticks). Drop the bag/ball and the cinnamon sticks into a large pot (This has to be a pot that is almost 2 gallons. If you don't have a pot that big - cut the recipe in half. Works beautifully!). Pour the cider and cranberry juice into the pot and bring to a boil slowly. Reduce to a simmer. Keeping partially covered, simmer for 1 hour for best flavor. Enjoy. This will stay warm all day on low on the burner. What I do is once I have simmered it for the hour - I transfer it to my big crock-pot and keep that on warm. People can just go the crockpot and enjoy as they want for the rest of party.

I serve this during Advent and after caroling. It is festive with its red color and warming after being out in the cold without being too heavy. I have a friend that keeps 'cupfuls' in plastic bags that she drops into her favorite mug and warms in the microwave when she needs a warm drink. I never have been that ambitious or had the freezer space to do that - but it is a brilliant idea.

No comments: