Saturday, November 7, 2009

More Recipes

I decided that I had better start writing recipes more than once a week if I was going to get all of the 'holiday' recipes on my blog before they were needed. The first one is one that I remember growing up. It was always made around the holidays by my Grandma Brugger - Myrl Brugger. I have to admit that even for all of the work that they take to make - these are one of my all time favorite cookies. If you can find 'juice' oranges instead of naval oranges it makes the cookies all the better but either one works fine. (I have only ever seen juice oranges in Texas).

Orange Cookies - from the kitchen of Carrie Myrl Brugger
Cookie:
1 1/2 cups sugar 4 cups flour
1 cup butter or shortening 1 teaspoon baking powder
3 eggs 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cups sour cream (has to real - not low fat) 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 orange, pulverized, peel and all in the food processor or ground through a meat grinder.

Frosting:
1/4 cup butter Powdered sugar
3 Tablespoons orange juice 1 Tablespoon reserved orange pulp

Pulverize the orange and reserve 1 Tablespoon for the frosting. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Mix together the sugar, butter, eggs, sour cream and all the rest of the orange pulp. Cream until the mixture is smooth. Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Drop by rounded teaspoons full onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until the cookie is just set. Cool the cookies completely and frost.

Frosting: Mix together the butter, orange juice, orange pulp and enough powdered sugar to make the the frosting the desired consistency. (If you add to much powdered sugar, just add more juice. If it is too thin - add some more powdered sugar.) Frost the cooled cookies. Store the cookies between layers of waxed paper in a tightly covered container - in a cool dry place.
________________________________________________________

This recipe was given to me by Anne Bailey (our daughters' Gr'Anne). I make it around the holidays - especially when we have guests for Advent.

Miniature Cheesecakes

1 pound cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs beaten
1 pound vanilla wafer cookies
1 can of your favorite berry pie filling (I have also used lemon pie filling with a maraschino cherry on top with good results)

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Combine the cream cheese, sugar, eggs and vanilla. Beat until light and smooth. Fill muffin tins with cupcake liners. Place a vanilla wafer in the bottom of each 'cup' (miniature tart pans also work well for this.) Fill each 'cup' 3/4 full with the cheesecake filling. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes. Cool and serve with the pie filling on top. Makes about 2 1/2 dozen. Refrigerate any leftovers.

Note: What I do is serve the cheesecakes plain and put a variety of pie fillings on the table. I then let the guests choose their favorite topping. My favorite way to eat these is just plain. I have also used crushed graham crackers with sugar and butter (the basic graham cracker crust recipe) and sprinkled 1 Tablespoon in the bottom of the cupcake liner and pressed it in and bake the cups for 5 minutes. This is my emergency back up when I don't have Vanilla Wafers - and thought I did.
___________________

Things I am thankful for: Ambulances, prompt medical care, Priesthood blessings, kind friends and sweet ward members. I guess I should explain. Last night in the Temple, Helen Athay caught her foot as she was walking and broke her hip. She was upstairs - for those of you that know the Boston Temple - just at the head of the stairs. Clyde was working the desk and let the EMT's in. The rest of us made sure that people stayed put so the EMT's only saw us in our white dresses and suits. She had surgery this morning. I haven't heard how she is doing but 'Elder Wood' is now 'President Wood' (President of the Boston Temple) and so he and Dixie took Bob to their home last night to stay. I am sure that he will be there for the duration. Those of you that know and love Brother and Sister Athay, may want to keep them in your prayers. I will keep you posted.

No comments: