Friday, May 31, 2013

Our Trip to NYC

Yesterday, Clyde and I had to appear before the Danish Consul to get our visa applications in.  It was a mind-numbing trip.  We went to Stamford, Connecticut to catch the train into New York City.  The trip was going fine until we hit New Haven, Connecticut.  There we got caught in a traffic jam and then another one in Bridgeport - just before Stamford.  We were lucky if went a mile in 15 minutes.  I was praying that things would lighten up so we could make our train.  A trip that should have taken 2 1/2 hours, took over 3 1/2  hours.  We got to the train station and found out the express train was running 10-15 minutes late.  We got to Grand Central Station and walked to the consulate.  We walked from Lexington Ave - across 41st Street - then walked across the 40 numbered streets until we hit where we needed to be.  I have now walked down 2 blocks of 42nd street!  Never thought I would do that.  We go to the consulate a bit early but it was in the 90's outside and felt like over 100 degrees.  There is not a lot of shade.  We did sit in a little corner park and cool down with some water before heading to the Consulate for the 16 minute appointment (8 for Clyde and 8 for me).  We had to have our pictures taken and our fingerprints done.  Then we spilled back onto the hot streets for the trip back to Grand Central station.  Clyde ate lunch there but I was so hot,  I couldn't think about eating.  I think I might have gotten a bit of heat stroke.  I just could not cool down - no matter how hard I tried.  We took the slower train back to Stamford and stopped in Harlem, New Rochelle, Rye and several more stops until we reached Stamford.   We got in our car and headed home.  It took over 40 minutes to get out of Bridgeport (traffic again!) and then another 45 minutes to get through West Haven/New Haven.  We finally stopped in Mystic, Connecticut for dinner.  We relaxed there and then headed home for out last hour of the trip.  Needless to say it felt good to come home. 

Today is our temple day and we are getting ready for that now.  I am not feeling well but better push through.  They are going to need us tonight.

No comments: