Sunday, May 12, 2013

Glad Mors Dag

Happy Mother's day.  The title is in Danish and is pronounced gled Moorse Deh. 

Several scriptures have been rolling around my head this morning and one is what I call the 'woman's handbook' from Proverbs.  In particular Proverbs 31:10, 28-30.  I have a friend whose family assigns their daughters the scriptures from that chapter - according to their birthday - and then have them memorize it.  This works great for scriptures after the first few but the first ones are basically in introduction.  Since all of her daughters were born in the later part of the month, she never considered it to be a problem.  Heidi and Annie (in my family) would not benefit much from this.  I got sidetracked but I guess in a good way.

We are having a good weekend.  We met with our tutor yesterday and had a really intense session.  I am getting so I can read Danish pretty well and understand what I am seeing.  For some reason it is not connecting in my brain verbally though.  I am going to listen to the conference addresses in Danish.  I know what was said, somewhat - and hopefully something will connect.  I also need to start thinking more in Danish.  However on occasion when I see a word while reading that is a word in Danish - I am starting to see it in Danish more than English.  The other day I was reading a book with a 'ma and pa' in it.  In Danish pa is pronounced poe and I kept thinking poe instead of Pa.  Pa means 'on' and it didn't make sense in the sentence - I would have to reread it to get the context right.  There are several other words that work similarly and that is giving me hope I just might eventually get this!  I have had to quit reading any German because it throws me back in to the German way of speaking and sentence structure and that doesn't work for Danish.  I did figure out that Copenhagen - when said as the Danes say it and spell it - means 'purchase the harbor'.  When our tutor and I were laughing about that, he said not to be quite so literal. 

No comments: