Monday, May 13, 2013

Blueberry Muffin Memory

On Saturday, before our tutor called, I made blueberry muffins with a streusel topping.  I had some blueberries that needed to be used and went for my go-to recipe and realized I had packed the book.  I had to find a recipe on-line.  As I bit into the muffin, the downtown store of Joske's in San Antonio came rushing into my head.  My mother loved going to the Joske's downtown location (before they went under and the space became a hotel).  The biggest reason she loved to go to this particular store was their in-house bakery.  They did make the best pastries and candies there but especially their blueberry muffins.  Mom often bought a couple of dozen so she could freeze them for when she wanted them.  I realize now that we would make a trip there usually just before she was heading into a bad sick spell.  When my girls were little, fortunately that didn't happen often.  By the time Heidi was born, Joske's was gone and construction began on the Hyatt.  They took the whole block.  Joske's went from one of the premier department stores in Texas to bankruptcy in a matter of years.  It was all very sad.  I went to look for a wedding dress there and at Frost Bros.  Both stores no longer exist.

No comments: