Tuesday, January 29, 2013

What's your favorite memory of your mom?

My first favorite memory of my mom was just after Marianne and I got the dollhouse.  Marianne was only 2 and really didn't care about it but I loved it.  One afternoon I was playing with it and Mom stopped what she was doing and spent the afternoon playing with me.  I don't know that she ever did that again but that has always been special.

When I was senior in high school, my English Teacher divided out a group of students and basically started an advanced English class.  I was in it and loved it.  Towards the end of the year, we had covered everything, so he had us read contemporary novels.  We were to read 2 a week.  These were not lightweight reads.  I got a little bit behind and needed to read The Grapes of Wrath in order to get an A in the class.  The problem was that the test was the next day.  Mom and I marathon read from the time I got hom from school - all night long -  until 3 in the morning to finish the book.  I got an A+ on the test because I even answered the bonus questions correctly.  I remember being surprised that my mom would offer to read with me that night.  But after being a mom, I realize now that is just what loving moms do.  I would do it today for one of my children or grandchildren in a heartbeat.

No comments: