Monday, January 7, 2013

Carianne and The Blue Danube

When I was 7 1/2 months pregnant with Carianne, I played classical music all of the time.  My favorites at the time were Strauss Waltzes and A Midsummer's Night Dream.  I also loved Copeland.  One day I had a mug of Postum on my stomach during "The Blue Danube" and all of the sudden I realized that 'the baby' was keeping perfect time to the music.  I did it later when Clyde came home and it happened again.  Whenever "The Blue Danube" played for the rest of my pregnancy, Carianne would beat out perfect time through the piece.  It became quite a party trick!  The Young Men and Young Women loved it when she did it - but she only did for "The Blue Danube". 

After Carianne was born and she would get really crying - we would put that music on and it would calm her.  She didn't so much tap out a rhythm as she had invitro but would quietly lay there as if she was concentrating on the piece.  Even when she was older - if it played - she would get quiet.  I don't know how it affects her now, but Clyde and I cannot hear it without smiling and remembering that from before her birth, that was Carianne's song.

1 comment:

Cari said...

I made Carl read this post - it's so fun to share and hear stories from our childhood! Thank you, Mommy!