Friday, January 25, 2013

What were some of your pets and what made them special?

The first pet I remember was when I was 4 years old.  I was given a gold fish for my birthday.  I think about it now and think what an odd present for a 4 year old but nonetheless it was a gift.  For Christmas my mom had been given a new watch and in those days watches came in cases like fine jewelry.  She gave me the box and I put doll clothes accessories in it and my treasures.  I thought wouldn't it be nice if the fish had wonderful bed to sleep in - SO - no more fish.  My mother was appalled that I would do such a thing, Dad just laughed and said it was a life lesson - whatever that meant.  I just blew it off because I had only had the fish one day - I was not attached.

We also had a black Cocker Spaniel named Courtney O'Reilly III.  Reilly was a wonderful dog and I loved him.  Mom decided just before Bob was born that he was too much bother so he was given away to the Sparrow family.

We didn't have any pets for a long time until we moved to Washington DC and we have told you about Dolly and Kitty.  Our next pet was Ching.  She was a full blooded Siamese cat and she was beautiful.  Our whole family loved her, especially Mom.  She was sweet and seemed to know when someone was sick.  She would quietly sit with you until you were better.  We all thought she was my cat when in truth she belonged to us all.  Some teenagers drove up onto our lawn late at night - almost to the front door to run over her in their car.  They did this to several other animals in the neighborhood and it turned out they were high on drugs.  A couple of families prosecuted them.  Mom and Grandpa George Brugger were so devastated that they were teary for days.

We got Ming. Ming was also a Siamese Cat.  Ming had such a bad kink in her tail it had to be surgically cut off because it got in the way of her bathroom habits - leaving her only about a 3 inch tail. Mom always had her cats de-clawed but after Kitty - only the front claws were removed.  Ming had one claw and she knew it and used it.  When we were in Ephraim, there was Great Dane named Twiggy that was the terror of the neighborhood.  Ming quickly put Twiggy in her place.  She would bring birds and mice and leave them on Marianne's and my pillows.  She was so thoughtful.  We had to leave her behind when we went to Germany.  Ming was really the last family pet with Marianne and me full time at home.  We had Lady but she didn't appear in the family until after I was married.


No comments: