Sunday, January 20, 2013

What Kind of House Did You Grow Up In (Chapter 7)

After our 16 months in Ephraim, we were off to Germany again and even back to Bad Vilbel to live.  Dad was going to be at the 97th General Hospital again and we were all thrilled.  We were not on the economy this time but in military housing in a duplex.  We lived right on the edge - right across the street from the public bus stop and literally across the street from the first place we had lived when we lived in Germany the first time.  I loved it because I kind of picked up where I left off.  Peter Schoen was prepping for college and his little sister Mai was in the equivalent of middle school but the family was thrilled to have our family back.  I was good enough to be in the honor choir at the high school and between that schedule and going to early morning seminary, I never rode the school bus - which suited me just fine.  We loved seminary and from there we walked to school.  I made sure everyone came by making my dad pick everyone up.  I never asked him if he would - I just volunteered him.  I realize as a parent how cheeky that was but I just knew he wouldn't mind (he probably did but did it anyway.  I would have.)  I loved being in MelloTeens - the honor choir.  I had to keep my grades up in order to be in the group.  I realized that no matter how hard I tried, I would never get better than an F in Algebra - so I talked to the counselor - after having a half dozen tutors that gave up on me - and switched to economics.  That was a much better fit and qualified as my math requirement.  I saw no reason why I wouldn't graduate from Frankfurt High School and really got involved.  I was also very involved in the stake as the Stake Laurel representative and helped put together two youth conferences and 2 stake temple trips to the Swiss temple.  I loved it.  

Our house was the duplex that my sister pictured on her blog.  We had a Siamese cat that knew how to open doors.  She would literally  open the door for anyone and anything (especially other cats!).  So Mom and Dad got rid of her.  To be honest, I was too busy to even feel bad.  I was simply gone too much too notice.  I would often leave at 5:30 in the morning for seminary and not get home until after midnight from a concert.  I thought nothing of grabbing the streetcar and then the bus to come home.  I never called my parents to come and get me.  I cringe when I think of that now.  But I felt perfectly safe.  

At the end of the summer after my Junior year, Dad got orders to move to Heidelberg, Germany.  This was the second time he was moving to further his career but also because the Lord needed to get me out of a bad situation.  We were to move into a big house but Mom knew there was no way she could handle the stairs and the upkeep - so she chose a 3 bedroom apartment, instead.  Off we went on a new adventure to Heidelberg.  I had been in a different school every year since 6th grade and would be again.

1 comment:

Marianne said...

I am so impressed with your memory of dates and spelling. I had to go back and edit my blog postings because I had written "Plattenstrasse" instead of Platenstrasse, and "Silver Springs" instead of Silver Spring.
I am enjoying reading your memories. I was blessed to grow up in the same houses with you. I love you.