Saturday, June 12, 2010

Why Do I Read So Much?

Clyde asked me the other day why I loved to read so much. It kind of threw me. I had never thought about it before. I said because my parents read. But it is more than that. I have read for several hours every day for most of my life - since I first realized I could read a chapter book. Once I realized I could get through a book like that, nothing was going to stop me. I am a bit like the young girl in "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" who was going to work her way through the library from A-Z. When I was 8 that was my goal - read every book in the school library from A-Z. But a horrible truth was forced on me. I could only check out 2 books a week! So I decided to read all of the biographies from A-Z instead. By the time we moved from that school I had read most of the biographies plus the required reading from the library. I had fallen in love with books about the Civil and Revolutionary Wars. What I really loved were the dress styles - the long dresses and full skirs with the fancy hats.

Jump ahead to Washington DC - where we spent the next two years. Every chance my father got, we went to a battlefield of the Civil War. It didn't register until later that this was the Centennial of the Civil War during our stay there - so quite frequently we were there for the 100th anniversary celebrations. I kind of lost my zeal for Civil War novels about this time and switched to pioneer books. This is when I fell in love with my most favorite book ever, "Mrs. Mike". This book has everything a good book should have in it. In my opinion a good book should run you through all the emotions: love, happiness, anger sadness. "Mrs. Mike" has never disappointed me.

I don't think I read to escape. I hope not because more often than not I read mysteries. If I am reading them to escape - I apparently would want to escape into a world of murder and mayhem. I know I don't want that. I do find myself more and more gravitating towards books about the South - especially Texas. I love reading about the warmth and hospitality of the Southern people. The other day I read a book and they were traveling down I-35 through Seguin, describing landmarks and the bluebonnets. I actually cried as I read that because I knew right where they were. That area was home for a long time.

I read all kinds of books. I change my genre's about as often as I change my clothes. It is interesting to me that I tend to go through spurts. I tend to read more fantasy and fairy tales in the winter. I read more mysteries in the fall and spring and novels and biographies in the summer. I didn't realize this until I started looking back in my journals. I would be curious to read my Tuesday Book Review to see if that still holds true or not.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

You know, I used to be a voracious reader. I remember sixth grade, I was able to check out a book every day..and that's exactly what I did. I read one every day after school plus did my homework and got straight "A's" I've wondered if keeping my mind stimulated kept me in the "learning zone."

Sadly, my attention span isn't what it used to be and reading has become so difficult...even subjects I'm crazy about...now it takes me weeks or months to try to finish a book...but I will keep on...your love of books inspires me and helps me remember who I am.

Thank you, Beckie! I love you!!!
~ Jenny xoxoxo