Tuesday, June 29, 2010

On My Soapbox

I know that today is Tuesday and I will do a book review in a little while but I want to vent a bit about the oil spill in the Gulf. I do think that BP should be cleaning it up but what ever happened to the people that they were RENTING the rig from? They have ended up blameless in this and have not had to pay a dime. The frightening thing to me is that all of these wells are interconnected (which is why they couldn't just blow the hole up and stop it in the first place because it would cause a chain reaction to all the other wells) and the wells are NOT all owned by BP BUT THE RIGS ARE ALL OWNED BY THE SAME COMPANIES! By neglecting them we are setting ourselves up for another spill just as sure as I am sitting here. Only 3 companies make the oil rigs so even though I couldn't find out which one make that one - that does not leave a lot of companies to point fingers at. I think we are wrong by boycotting BP. We need to keep them a viable company until after they get the Gulf cleaned up - then you can get boycott all you want. But until then I want them to have plenty of money to get the job done since they are the only ones investing in it. I guess my point is - and I have to admit that my son-in-law, Andy is the one that has had me ruminating about this - we jumped all over BP but are they the only or real villain? What is preventing this from happening tomorrow? It seems to me a deserted well is a dangerous well.

No comments: