Monday, June 7, 2010

Heidi and the Squirrel

When we lived in Kerrville, Texas, for the last two years we were there we lived in one of the houses that were on the VA hospital property. The first full summer we were there a squirrel became extremely obnoxious to Heidi. When she opened her bedroom shade, it would be waiting on the sill and would screech at her, when she walked from the front door to the car it would throw nuts at her (and sometimes twigs and leaves). It would sit above the doorway of the house and drop acorns and pecans just on Heidi. Sometimes when we were walking to the car, it would hop up and down along the grass, screeching all the way. We thought it hated Heidi. Today I found out that it was probably a male and was doing its level best to attract her to him. I was telling this to a woman where I work out that - worked for years for the National Forest department and she laughed and laughed when I told the story. She had never heard of a squirrel making overtures to a human before but what I described was what male squirrels do to attract females. I told her that the only squirrel like quality I could think that Heidi had was her long hair - which she kept in a ponytail quite a bit during that period of time because we were going to Fiesta Texas a lot and swimming at a friends pool. Oh well. Isn't it nice to know that the squirrel didn't hate you after all, Heidi?

1 comment:

Heidi Noel said...

Sheesh. Animals love me. The fish at Cabela's kiss me, the peacock at the Hogle Zoo follows me around. Too bad I don't like animals THAT much. ;)