Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Tuesday's Book Review


I have the Lucy Maud Montgomery collection on my Kindle. When I am not reading something else, I pull them up and read them. This week I read "Anne of the Island" and "Anne of Windy Poplars". It was a fun read. Reminded me of the weekends the girls and I would watch the mini-series together. Good times!

The one bad thing about reading books on the Kindle is you can't skip to the end of the book. You have to torturously read to the end. This book had flashbacks from every character. Sometimes I thought it had bounced back a few pages but I was reading another flashback. It was predictable and very easy to pick up and put down for long periods of time.


"A Thousand Voices" is my favorite book of the week. It is the last in the series of books starting with "Tending Rose". It was as well written and it was nice to see what happened to Dell.

Didn't really enjoy this book. I am not sure I can recommend it.


Alice's Tulip's was about the Civil War. It was taken from diaries and was quite interesting. It is written in letter style - a format I have a hard time with, but it was still well written. It starts off at the beginning of the War, when they are so sure they can put down the skirmish in a matter of weeks and ends as she waits word, wondering if her husband has survived Andersonville. It is a whiny book and not very uplifing but if you are looking for a book that fairly depicts the deprivation of the Civil during the War and doesn't make it come off looking like it lasted for a few weeks like in "Gone With the Wind" then this is your book.
I read two other books and have already turned them into the library. They were so memorable that I have forgotten what the titles were. I will report on them next week - if I remember.





No comments: