Thursday, May 6, 2010

America's Fattest Cities

Last night my youngest daughter informed me that Corpus Christi, Texas was the fattest city in the US. I read another survey that made Jacksonville, Florida #1 (San Antonio was #3). I saw another survey by a different company and Houston came out on top! But as I examined all of these surveys, except for Las Vegas and New York, New York, no two surveys had the same cities on them but they are ALL Southern cities in the US. There was always a North Carolina city, a Louisiana city and Florida was always mentioned plus Texas. What is it about the South that makes people fat? You would think because of the heat that the food would be light and healthier than elsewhere because you can grow a garden much longer in the year (some places year round) and the heat would make you eat light. Why is it as soon as I hit Texas, all I want is Mexican Food?! I don't care what form it comes in - just as long as it is authentic. If something is fried, it is fried in lard, usually (if it is authentic Tex-Mex). Not only does it taste better than the other fats, it is about the worst one out there. And why do fried food taste so good in warm months? This is from a person that has fought my weight my whole life. Yet I am right on board with eating as unhealthy as the next person - as long as it tastes good! This is what gets me into trouble. I don't know if it is being raised in Texas with access to the wonderful 'comfort' food that I find there 0r if there is something else going on. Maybe someone should spend $1,000,000 of government money and find out. It would be more beneficial than some of things we are spending money on. I am not sure what set this off. I will now step down off my soap box.

1 comment:

Katherine said...

I don't know the why but I do know that fatty Southern food goes back 100s of years. Maybe it's the mix of cultures or the rich plantation owners that could afford fattening food that started the trend. I do always wonder, though. I have definitely noticed a larger majority of obese people in Virginia than in Idaho. It makes me curious.