Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Book Review Tuesday











The best books/stories that I read this week, were by Pam and Heidi. Both read smoothly and kept you engaged. Heidi left you hanging (she hasn't finished hers yet) but hopefully soon you will all be able to enjoy "Metta and the Moon-Witch" with me by Pam.

I read "Can't Wait to Get to Heaven" by Fannie Flagg. This was a fun read but it reminded me that life is right now - don't waste it. We can fret over what others are thinking or we can live life the best way we know how.

I read "Silver Wedding" by Maeve Binchy. I thoroughly enjoyed this book but had forgotten that Maeve Binchy writes quite serious books. I haven't read a Maeve Binchy book for probably 10 years or more. She was one of my mother's favorite authors and whenever Mom got her new Book of the Month Club order - I would read it. Heaven only knows when the last time was that she ordered Maeve Binchy since she died almost 9 years ago.

I also read the next in the Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next series, "Lost in a Good Book." I found out something interesting out Fforde's books. The books that were released for the US audience do not have the foul language that the British books have. I know I have been reading the British copies because there are no explanations of what the British call their inter-state system, and other little things. I was looking at Harry Potter. When they do something as simple as vacuum a floor - that is how it is described - vacuuming. In this book they are 'hoovering' which is the British word for vacuuming. There is no explanation that is the word for vacuuming - the assumption is there that you know that. I ran into someone other than my daughter that had read the books and they confirmed that I must have been reading the British versions. I have been getting my copies from the Rhode Island Library system. Oh, and this book is as good as the first and I can't wait to read the third book in the series.

I also read "The Quilter's Apprentice" and "The Round Robin Quilt". I am not quite sure why but it has been over 5 years since I read the books and I thought I would read through the series again. I loved them as much the second time as I did the first.

In the Aunt Dimity series I read "Aunt Dimity's Good Deed" and "Aunt Dimity Digs In." Both were fun and I can't wait to go on with that series.

I have lost my list of the books I read at the beginning of the week. I really need to write this as I finish the books - but then that would be organized and on top of things - something I have never been. In fact I am anything but!

No comments: