Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Book Review Tuesday.








Could the pictures have gotten any more hap-hazard!? These are a few of the books I have read this week that I will write about.
I decided to re-read the 'Aunt Dimity' series. I have read all of the 'Cat who.." books and now I will read the 'Aunt Dimity' books up to the current one. That series of books starts with "Aunt Dimity's Death". You wouldn't think a series would start with a death but this one does and it is delightful. I read "Aunt Dimity's Death" and "Aunt Dimity and the Duke". I highly recommend both of them for pure fun. They are of course my favorite genre - light mystery.
I am now caught up with my 'knitting mysteries' by reading "Fleece Navidad". It was a fun read and I look forward to the next Maggie Sefton book. None of these have to be read in order - (including the Aunt Dimity Books) - they are great books on their own but they all have a continuous storyline that runs through them so it is fun to read them and know the background story as well as the current story.
My truly least favorite book this week was "The Water and the Blood". It is another Nancy E. Turner book. I was very disappointed in how dark and heavy this one was. With "These is My Words", she was able to take what could have been such a heavy subject and keep humor and lightness in it. This one just got heavier and heavier. It takes place in WWII in Eastern Texas - to begin with. The protagonist, 'Frosty' watches as some friends burn down a 'Negro Church'. The thing is - this is a place where she has found sanctuary all the time she has lived in this community and she stood by as they burned it down. It haunted her for the rest of the book and for good reason. Maybe it wouldn't affect others the way it affected me. The book was well written and I will be the first to admit it. As with Nancy Turner's other books , I could not put it down. I was just terribly depressed when I finished it. I hurried and downloaded what I thought was going to be an upbeat book (because our library was closed because of state holiday weekend). It turns out it is just as dismal as the "Water and the Blood" so far!
On a much happier note. Pam suggested that I read "The Eyre Affair" by Jasper Fforde. The only negative I could find in the book was some language - which is really used in a tongue in cheek type of fashion. The f-word pops up several times but all on one page - like a quota was needed so Fforde got rid of it all at once. The thing is - and this is bad - it doesn't really detract from the book. When you read the book - you will understand what I mean. What happens is that walls of literature and the real world are so thin - people can pass through them. So people from the real word try and change literature for ransom. There are Special Agents that are just there to protect literature and that is what Thursday Next - our heroine does for a living. The night I finished to book - dinner wasn't on the table until almost 8:00 because I just lost track of time. Why Clyde didn't say something - I don't know - but we survived and I finished a great book. I look forward to the next one!

2 comments:

Heidi Noel said...

I have looked for the Eyre Affair. Pam said that the language was not there in her copy, but it was in the one she purchased in England. I have never been able to find the first book, and therefore have not started the series.

Grandma Bailey said...

Look on Amazon.