Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Tuesday Book Review on Wednesday




I am home and while I was at Pam's I read 2 amazing books. One was "The Thirteenth Tale" by Diane Setterfield. This was an amazing book that took you through twists and turns you never would expect. It is fashioned after the 'Gothic books' of the 19th century with a few modern twists. I have to say this is a book that is not for everyone but Pam and I could not put it down! It really made me think and led me on a totally unexpected journey that I am glad I took.
Yesterday before I left Pam's house, I started, "Once Upon a Marigold" by Jean Ferris. This is a delightful Young People's fairy tale. Because my flight was delayed in Pittsburgh and Philadelphia, I finished it before I even got home (I was supposed to get in at 9 and didn't arrive until 10:30 but even that was earlier than we were supposed to be - our flight time initially said after 11. More about that later.) "Once Upon a Marigold" is an original fairy tale with a happily ever after ending. Jean Ferris just released "Twice Upon a Marigold" (it is set up for that at the end of the story) and I can't wait to read it. It was a fun read and helped me get my mind off of the long wait and just the absurdity of the situation I found myself in yesterday. I highly recommend this book with no reservations to anyone that wants a fun, fast read.
Jean Ferris has a fun sense of humor. At the end of the book they interview her and she tells about her first book. She said when she was 7 she wrote her first book called Sioux City Sue which was about a baby girl that was born while her parents were on vacation. She lived with her aunt until her parents came home. "Obviously more research was needed." Jean said to the interviewer. Even people that don't particularly like fairy tales will enjoy this fantasy. It has a good message - even though it is quite predictable. Sometimes that is just plain fun!

No comments: