Thursday, July 2, 2009

Last Night


Last Night I had to say goodbye to the Halverson family. I will write more about that when I won't sob my way through the blog. Clyde had a stake meeting in Mystic, so I flipped through the channels trying to find something to watch. Our meager showing is even worse because it is summer plus Cox decided to get rid of one of our PBS channels. Quite upsetting. However as I flipped through, I notice that "Chess - in Concert" was on Great Performances and settled on that. It was especially easy when the two leads were played by Josh Groban and Idina Menzel (the wicked witch in the original WICKED). I had heard the music of Chess from one of our daughters' friends when we lived in Ephraim. I thought it was OK but last night, I sat mesmerized. I couldn't even move long enough to brush my teeth and put my pajamas on - and I was really tired from my late night excursion the night before. I still can't decide if I liked it enough to buy it or not. I will still wrestle with that decision. I know I liked "Borders around my Heart", and some of the other big production numbers. They are tricky and counterpoint. Really unusual and ordinarily that bugs me, but last night I found it fanscinating and exciting.
The words were by Tim Rice and the music by the guys from the ABBA team - 10 years before they wrote Mama Mia. If it pops up on your PBS station, or you have a chance to watch it otherwise, do. I don't think you will be disappointed. (Sorry, I am not savvy enough to upload music - I tried.)

No comments: