Tuesday, July 7, 2009



I read "These Is My Words" while I was in Kerrville and forgot to say anything. Heidi had reviewed the book a few months back and I had been anxious to read it. Then our books group decided to read it so I downloaded it. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It is really unlike any book I have read. It is supposed to be like "Jubilee Trail" and "Calico Palace" by Gwen Bristow (a favorite of my sister, her daughter's and mine) but it has an edgier twist to it. Granted it was written 60+ years after those books were written but even then it is just a different writer with a different angle. I highly recommend any of the three of these books but I am really looking forward to discussing "These Is My Words" by Nancy Turner in book group next week.

This week I have also read "Dead Men Don't Crochet" by Betty Hechtman and "Murder is Binding" by Lorna Barrett. "Murder is Binding" is a little more hard core mystery than what I usually read - more on the lines of Agatha Christie. Meaning there was very little comedy relief. However, "Dead Men Don't Crochet" was my typical mystery with lots of comedy and the mystery to boot. I thoroughly enjoyed both of them. I am currently reading "The Woman In White" by Wilkie Collins - written in the mid-1800's. I am not hurrying through it and it is 700 pages long. I don't know when I will be reviewing it. So far it is much like "Wuthering Heights" and "Jane Eyre". Should be interesting.

2 comments:

Heidi Noel said...

Never enjoyed Wilkie Collins. Good luck.
I am glad you enjoyed "These is my Words". Did you also read the other 2? I am so jealous.

Grandma Bailey said...

I have not read them yet. I won't buy anything on the Kindle that is over $9.99 and those are currently $15. I am waiting for the price to come down or the library to get them - whichever comes first. The reason I am reading "The Woman In White" is because of the "The 13th Tale". Because I am not reading it exclusively it isn't that bad. I am not sure I could JUST read it.