Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Tuesday's Book Review

First of all I would like to thank our daughter's for the exercise bike they bought their father last summer. I was unable to get to Sedona today because it is pouring outside. I have tried to walk over there in the rain before and ended up soaking wet. Having to work out in wet clothes is not comfortable plus I have been fighting an earache and a sore throat (I am sure from allergies) but I don't want to chance it. I had a good workout thanks to you.

Modern books are so much easier to read and I read them so much faster. This last week I only read one fairly current book - the rest were from the turn of the 20th century. The first book I read was "Kindle Shortcuts" which was great! I found out some wonderful things that I needed to know and more efficient ways to use my Kindle.

The best book I read all week was "Steal the Dragon" by Patricia Briggs. This is completely different from her other books I have read. The 'Mercy Thompson' books are contemporary books but this book is pure fantasy. I thoroughly enjoyed it! I had a hard time putting it down to do anything I was supposed to. Once again Patricia Briggs hooked me into her story and kept me hooked. I was pretty much hooked from the first paragraph - which is unusual for me.

I read several Eleanor Porter short stories. I am just trying to get everything read from the anthology that that I acquired when I bought Pollyanna. Of the 3 short stories I read - none of them stand out -not even the titles!

I read "A Room with a View" by E. M. Forster. Forster also wrote "Howard's End" and "A Passage to India". I had always wanted to read "A Room with a View" and I am glad I did but I won't be re-reading it. It was wordy, and quite nonsensical at many points. It is supposed to be the lightest work he ever wrote. Well I see now why he is known more for his other two works. They were much better written. I have never been particularly fond of "Howard's End" but "A Passage to India" is an outstanding novel. It does take concentration and time to read though. It has been years since I have read the last two novels but I still remember them. Forster knew what he was doing.

I am now in the throes of reading my youngest daughter's favorite books - 'The Scarlet Pimpernel' series of books. I just started with "The Laughing Cavalier" and I am finding it a fun read. I must confess that rather than reading this weekend - I watched movies with my sweetheart. He brought home 'Transformers' and "Lady of the Water". I am glad I watched them but I won't be watching "Transformers" again. However "Lady of the Water" was a sweet story. It was PG13. It is about a sea nymph or a Narf. It was well done and well told. I am not quite sure why it was PG13 except that when the mean grassy 'scrunt' creature appears - it is startling - whenever he appears. You aren't sure 'Story's' state of undress untill quite far into it because she is always shown clothed. It was an interesting fantasy. I just might have to look at the children's book it came from now.

No comments: