Thursday, April 4, 2013

What special thing did you do with your father?

The thing that pops in my mind first is attending the symphony and occasionally the opera with Dad.  He always bought 2 tickets and then 3 for the symphony so one of us could go with him and Mom.  (Later on it became Grandma Tuttle, Dad and one of us).  Marianne and I would take turns and I loved it.  I know that is why I love classical music to this day.  I was reading how there were outdoor classical music concerts all over Denmark in the summer.  I am looking forward to that.

Dad took us to historical sites wherever we lived.  In Europe it was mostly the castles - because that is what Mom wanted to see.  If it was just Dad and the kids, then we would go see museums and go wandering around in parks, etc.  We did more outdoor things and tended toward the less touristy things in Europe, if Mom wasn't there.  Then we moved to the Washington D.C. area on the Centennial of the Civil War.  We saw more battlefields than I can remember.  I loved Williamsburg and Jamestown, Virginia - they were not battlefields - but the rest I could have done without.  I take that back.  Valley Forge was quite fascinating but only because of the Pennsylvania Dutch and the Amish factor. 

No matter how busy Dad was - he always took the time to talk to me.  If I needed him - he was/is there.

The other thing I did with my dad was read.  Because of my observance of him studying and reading every morning - I too picked up the habit of reading the scriptures everyday.  Our family is a family of readers.  Both of my parents instilled that in me.

No comments: